Edinburgh Greens have launched their campaign for the council elections in May, pledging “a green future for a great city” and with radical action on housing, care and transport.
At a public meeting this evening the campaign will be launched by the party’s two co-convenors, former Leith Walk councillor Maggie Chapman and Green MSP Patrick Harvie.
The Greens say that any of Edinburgh’s 17 council wards could return a Green councillor in May and it will be contesting all 17 with a view to securing the biggest-ever Green vote.
Key Green pledges for the campaign include:
– Helping people have warm, safe homes by reducing rents and bringing empty homes back into use.
– Valuing the workers who care for our children and loved ones, with a “living wage plus” of at least £9.20 an hour.
– Making our city healthier, safer and easier to get around by significantly expanding public transport.
Green candidate for Portobello-Craigmillar, Mary Campbell said:
“I’m delighted to be part of a team that is already making a difference. Green councillors in Edinburgh have helped residents in Slateford fight demolition of housing, battled to secure public rights to green space at the Astley Ainslie hospital, and ensured people in Leith and other areas have a say over how budgets are decided. There is a fantastic foundation to build on.
Dan Heap, Green candidate for Sighthill-Gorgie added:
“Greens have a proud record of getting things done: fighting against cuts to public services, championing local businesses, and making sure the city is a welcoming place for all.
“With the realistic aim of doubling the number of Green councillors in May, I am relishing the thought of how much more we can do to make sure the city has the green future it needs.”
The full list of the 11 Green candidates (5 women and 6 men) selected so far is below. The final 6 candidates, to make up 17 wards in total, will be announced in middle of March.
- Southside–Newington: Cllr Steve Burgess
- Meadows-Morningside: Cllr Melanie Main
- Leith: Cllr Chas Booth
- Inverleith: Cllr Nigel Bagshaw
- Fountainbridge-Craiglockhart: Cllr Gavin Corbett
- Leith Walk: Susan Rae
- City Centre: Claire Miller
- Forth: Gillian Mackay
- Sighthill-Gorgie: Dan Heap
- Craigentinny-Duddingston: Alex Staniforth
- Portobello-Craigmillar: Mary Campbell