Confronting the UK’s democratic crisis – a conference salute to Tom Nairn
A major conference on the democratic future of the United Kingdom and its constituent nations. To celebrate political thinker and theorist, Tom Nairn, whose work on nationalism, the British state and globalisation in the era of market supremacy remains an inspiration to radicals and reformers everywhere.
The conference will debate:
- The SNP after Sturgeon and Labour under Starmer.
- How to prevent chauvinist Brexiteers from monopolising national themes over the coming decade.
- How to combat dark money and media manipulation in British politics.
- How more participation can improve democracy.
- How Russia’s war on Ukraine is altering Europe’s future.
- How we reframe ‘who we are’ to encompass issues of race and the legacies of empire and colonialism.
- Democracy in the age of climate breakdown.