Where the Edinburgh Greens made the news in December.
The Westminster vote to raise tuition fees saw students take to the streets in London and Edinburgh. Green MSP Robin Harper addresses students outside the Scottish Parliament, and offered to pay their membership if they joined the scottish green party before christmas.
- Demotix: MSPs Back Edinburgh Student Protest on Eve of UK Tuition Fee Vote, Robin Harper MSP
- PressTV: Students protest in Scotland
- Guardian: Mike Crockart targeted in Edinburgh anti-tuition fees march includes video of Robin Harper MSP
- deadline: Students protest against rise in tuition fees
- Evening News: Crockart set to quit role in clear stance on tuition fees
- Press TV: Students protest in Scotland
- Herald: No-fee university ‘is not achievable’
The campaign to make Edinburgh a plastic bag free city gained a lot of attention this month.
- Greener Leith: Bonus bag to go city-wide? Cllr Alison Johnstone quoted.
- Evening News: Praise for bag scheme, Cllr Alison Johnstone quoted.
- Evening News: Councillor backing bid to bin plastic bags
Long Leases Bill
The Long Leases (Scotland) Bill might be though of as a tidying up bill – It will see ownership of properties with leases with more than 100 years left to run transfere to the leasee. However were the bill to become an Act, common good sites like Waverley market, would pass from the being owned by the people of Edinburgh, to private hands.
Edinburgh got quite a lot of snow. This caused some disruption.
- Evening News: Pupils banned from playing in the snow, Cllr Alison Johnstone on the joys of snow at play time.
- Evening News: Schools come in from cold as boiler upgrades planned, Cllr Alison Johnstone
Cllr Maggie Chapman tabled two motion on fair pay at this month council meeting. The motions call for Edinburgh City Council to apply tough pay equality rules to companies that it contracts, and freeze hiring that breaks an agreed pay ratio.
- Evening News: Greens urge council to extend use of pay equality rules, Cllr Maggie Chapman on pay ratios
- Scotsman: How green is your Christmas?, Cllr Alison Johnstone dispenses seasonal tips
- Scotsman: Palestinian groups hail Veolia veto, Cllr Maggie Chapman quoted
- Herald: MSPs reject Bill legalising the right to die, Robin Harper MSP quoted
- STV: Snaring to be reviewed under new legislation, Robin harper MSP on the Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill
- Evening News: Green MSP in last-ditch bid to save venue Robin Harper on the Assembly Rooms
- Evening News (letters): £2.3bn bridge makes us cross, From Robin Harper
- Evening News: Campaign to halt Inverleith Park sell-off, Nigel Bagshaw quoted